Progress on Loki Staff
Crafting is an interesting thing, I've been thinking pretty hard about this staff and staring at the very few pictures available for it. Finally decided to wing it and create the bracket that holds the stone the way I think it should be made. My concern is the stone falling out when it's swung around. So I came up with this option.
8/8/2012 02:56:29 am
A few questions: what is the bracket you made for the "gem" made out of, how big did you get the "gem", and what pipes did you use to make the staff itself?
8/8/2012 08:43:24 am
The bracket was a sheet of 3" wide by 1/4" thick aluminum stock that I cut out by hand on my scroll saw. I made a template out of cardboard first to make sure I had the shape right. It was then sandwiched between a length of 1/4" groove aluminum C-channel. All available at home depot or lowes. I wanted it very very secure as the gem is a very heavy chunk of quartz 2.5" long (egg shaped) it came from a stone vendor on eBay I had to email her and ask if she had a larger than normal egg, she found it at a swap meet specifically to my dimensions and sold it to me for around $25 plus shipping. Im doing this again as a kit and will be casting the gem from acrylic resin. If it was made of resin it would be easy to drill and tap the acrylic to better anchor it to the staff. As for the piping it's just 1.25" white PVC plumbing pipe in several diameters (the handle is 2") just look for the two pipe sizes that almost nest inside of eachother. I got the bend by Heating the pipe with a heat gun for about 5 mins until it got rubbery.
Leave a Reply.
This is a collection of my crafting achievements and milestones. I'm a part time craftsman of props, costumes and various fabrications.